Big Scary Monsters is an independent label based in Oxford. It has so far been responsible for releases from the likes of La Dispute, Beach Slang, Modern Baseball, Minus The Bear, mewithoutYou, Kevin Devine, Caspian, yndi halda, Gnarwolves, The Fall of Troy, Andrew W.K., Tall Ships, Into It. Over It, Toe, Pulled Apart By Horses, Meet Me In St Louis, Cursive, Joyce Manor, Bear vs Shark, Axes, Delta Sleep, Tangled Hair, Talons... We could go on.
In 2011 BSM helped form the Pink Mist collective with Holy Roar and Blood And Biscuits Records. Later joined by Tangled Talk, the collective work together to release even more good music and promote regular shows across London.
BSM also host an annual 5-a-side football tournament, pulling together the "sporting elite of the music industry" in what can only be described as a tired embarrassment of people who "used to be good when they were 12".
The one true boss of BSM, Ron Swanson
General enquiries and distribution
Quick questions, wholesale orders and international
Demos, bribes, etc.
Does what it says on the tin
- I placed a mailorder 2 weeks ago and it hasn't arrived, is everything ok?
If you want to check up on an order, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the info. Please note, pre-order items are usually shipped the week before release. Also, don't contact us about orders via Facebook or Twitter, we need your info to look into it for you properly.
- I placed a mailorder 7 hours ago and it hasn't arrived, what the fuck?!
What the fuck indeed. Grow up and never contact us again.
- I'm in a band and I want to send you a 50mb wav file of a track we just recorded. We are yet to add the bass or vocals, it's not mixed and it's far from being our best song. Interested? (also see: funk bands and artists who begin emails with "we are the future of music")
OH WOW, WHAT AN OPPORTUNITY! Send your huge attachments to email@example.com. Those of you who have STREAMING links to GOOD music and a sense that we genuinely may enjoy it, feel free to send over with a bit of info about yourselves.
- I work for a shop/run a distro, could we stock your releases?
Absolutely! Email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll send you our wholesale info.
- I'm a promoter and would like to book one of your bands, how can I do this?
You should be able to find the booking details for each of our bands via their website/Facebook page. Any problems, give us a shout and we'll (possibly) help.
- Why did you begin BSM?
Girls and money.
- Would you recommend starting an independent record label?
I'd recommend building a time machine first.
- What's your favourite ever BSM release?
We like them all exactly the same. Except maybe a couple of them. But we're not telling you which.
- How did you come to work with Andrew W.K.?
Got drunk, sent an email, professed our love, went for dinner, talked about Mr Bean, hatched a plan, won some money in a Fantasy Football league, spent it on square-shaped vinyl, the end.
- Can I play in the BSM 5-a-side football tournament?
Are you Gylfi Sigurdsson? If not, probably no room for you.